Expert Witness Recruitment
The Acupuncture Board is recruiting licensed acupuncturists statewide to serve as expert witnesses for the Board's enforcement program. An expert witness is any licensee possessing appropriate technical or professional knowledge gained through advanced education or extensive work experience that enables the individual to form a definite opinion in the area of the standard of care for the profession.
The California Evidence Code defines an Expert Witness as a person who "has special knowledge, skill, experience, training, or education sufficient to qualify him as an expert on the subject to which his testimony relates..."
Expert witnesses are reimbursed for their services as follows:
- A maximum of $75.00 per hour for Record Review and Report Preparation.
- A maximum of $100.00 per hour for conference with Attorney General.
- A maximum of $100.00 per hour for testimony (maximum of $800.00 per day).
- Mileage and Parking
An expert witness must meet the following qualifications:
- A current California issued acupuncturist license, in good standing; no prior or pending disciplinary action; no pending investigations;
- A minimum of five years post-licensure practice;
- Consistent, ongoing, face-to-face client contact, a minimum of 10 hours per week;
- Current working knowledge of pertinent laws and regulations governing the practice which the expert witness is licensed to perform;
- Strong writing skills, and the ability to express ideas logically and critically; and,
- Willingness to serve as an expert witness for three consecutive years and enter into an Expert Consultant Services Contract.
Licensees interested in serving the Board as an expert witness are encouraged to fill out the Expert Witness Application form and mail it to the Board at 1747 N. Market Blvd., Suite 180, Sacramento, CA 95834. Once the application is approved, your name will go into our pool of experts that we can contract with and call upon on an as-needed basis
Updated: August 2013